Monday, April 2, 2012

Reading about Running

I just finished reading a few chapters in "Marathoning for Mortals". I have to say again and again how much I LOVE this book!

Training for a half marathon, marathon, well, any race period is psychologically taxing. We've said and will continue to say that running is all in your head!!! But when you have a goal in mind your mind starts to lose it!

My marathon is 4 weeks from today! FOUR WEEKS!!! Holy cow! And the thing is your mind starts to torment you, so I decided to fall back on old faithful, which is this book.

It's written for average people like you and me, who decided we wanted to run with no real goals in mind and found that running could be cathartic! I promised myself I wouldn't read too much (because it can cause more stress) but this book is so encouraging! It tells you that you CAN succeed at something that seems impossible.

Four weeks from today I plan to be holding a shiny new medal that has a 26.2 on it. Please remember that a marathon is 26.2 miles, that .2 can be the hardest that you run!

Knee pain and missed runs will not keep me down, they will now psyche me out, they will not discourage me from my goal, which is to finish!!!! And you know what?!? My medal and the person who crosses first's medal will be the same! :)

Run strong, like you stole something, like you've got nothing and everything to lose. Run because it feel good! Run because that ache afterward means you did something good for your body. Run to show your children that being in shape is good and fun and healthy! Just run!!!!!

If you don't think you're cut out to be a runner, go buy this book NOW! You'll feel differently afterwards!

2 comments:

  1. Deni I have no doubt you will finish your race faster than you thought you would...you are going to be awesome! I am checking out this book for sure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to do so awesome!! I cant wait to hear about your finish!! Wish we could be at the finish line!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete