Friday, February 10, 2012

Doing what you have to...

Sometimes running and being a mommy are hard to coordinate.  Especially when your treadmill is about 20 years old and doesn't keep pace accurately (seriously, I thought I was nuts, but everyone who has been on it says it is off).  So, you do what you have to in order to get the run in.

Last night Sugar woke up puking, in a violent scare you to death kind of way.  Actually she made a little noise so I peeped at the monitor and she was actually drowning in vomit.  It was coming out her nose and mouth and she couldn't clear it.  I was in there faster than lightening and yanked her up and Foxy came running too.  We suctioned her, I cried, and she finally calmed down.  Needless to say I didn't take my eyes off of her the rest of the night.  She projectile vomited on me four more times and finally seemed done.  Then woke up around 12:30am screaming in hunger, so I fed her and we went to sleep.  She woke again at 6am and ate and back to sleep.  Obviously, I don't think that being jostled around in her stroller is the best idea today, so I opted to wait until her nap and hop on that treadmill.  I wasn't feeling it, so I did what I have done a few other times and ran laps around the inside of my house.  My kitchen, game room, hallway, dining room, and living room make a complete circle, so I did it over and over and over and over and over and over...

I tried carrying the monitor outside and running the perimeter of our yard, but the ground is soft and has holes and I almost twisted my ankle 3 times in two minutes and my little dog almost tripped me too!  So, back inside.  I feel like I'm not getting as strong a run in when I do this, but it is certainly better than no run at all.  To make myself feel better I did my speed drills twice (they are simple, 30 seconds of all out running as fast as you can, then walk for 1 min, repeat 4 times).  I'm not hardcore, but when I took a video and sent it to Lacey for her viewing pleasure only, she laughed and called me hardcore!  Thanks Lacey!!

Rock-n-Roll New Orleans, you better be ready for me! :)

I'd love to hear stories of crazy things you've done to get your run in and accommodate your children!

2 comments:

  1. You my friend are hard core! A hard core runner mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've run that same circle in that same house. It's NOT fun. But at least you ran!

    ReplyDelete