Thursday, February 23, 2012

Headache Remedy

Today I wasn't feeling my run.  Tuesday's run was sucky--and I mean SUCKY.  My right knee decided to lock up on me, while pain shot from the back around to the front.  It hurt and I couldn't get past 3 miles, which was sucky because I was supposed to run for 60 minutes.  That just messed with my head and had me dreading my run today.  To top it off I had a wicked headache that wasn't easing up and all I could think was that my dang head was going to pound for 40 minutes, then it would still be pounding and I'd be sweaty!  **Pre-running me did NOT like to sweat!  Running Deni, loves to sweat, but wants it off very quickly**

However, it was gorgeous outside and I just really wanted to go enjoy the day, but Sugar is feeling really yucky, so I didn't want to take her outside.  I didn't want to take her out and bounce her around in the stroller (just wanted to smother her with snuggles).  So, I was faced with that dreaded treadmill again.  I can't even tell you how I hate that stupid thing.  I would think that it's just me, but everyone who has tried using it says it's terrible, so instead, I ran circles around my house.  Yep, I did it again.  I'll just tell you that after about 15 of the 40 minutes I timed how long it took me to make a loop and then started counting loops.  I made approximately 161 loops around my house!  And no I wasn't dizzy and didn't feel like a hamster on a wheel.  It was strange, my phone battery was low, so I didn't have it with music, I had the TVs off, it was silent, as Sugar was sleeping and so was Foxy, so I just heard my footsteps and breathing.  I heard the squeak in my left shoe (what makes your shoe squeak?), which was annoying until it wasn't anymore.  It was cathartic, the circles, the lack of phone, no noise, no music, just me and the run.  I certainly never believed that I could be in that zone while running circles around my house, but I hit that running zone.  Do you know that running zone, where nothing else matters, no thoughts are crowding your mind, no distractions, just straight zone running, it's what I always want on a run.  To me being in the zone during a run is absolute perfection!

So, today's run was a GREAT one.  I think part of it was that I couldn't track my distance or time or pace, so there wasn't that overwhelming inner competition that I have.  At the end of the run, I no longer had a headache.  I felt good and was inspired and ready to go again tomorrow!  

THEN... I signed up for a full marathon (I've been planning this for months, but hadn't pulled the trigger and signed up).  I'm so excited I could pee my pants, but I won't because I'm the mommy and I'd be the one who had to clean it up!

Run because you WANT to, not because you HAVE to!!

No comments:

Post a Comment