Friday, February 17, 2012

I am a runner...watch out for the steaming divot!

It has taken me 8 years to feel confident enough to say that. When I first started running I was very slow, had bad form(my form still needs improvement), and would give up very easily. To me running is 85% mental and 15% physical, wait let me readjust that...80% mental, 5% insanity, 15% physical.

I got up at 4:30 this morning to get ready to run before the bug was up and Kenyan had to head to work. I'd heard someone say before that their wife got up at 4:30 to run before their kids were up, I thought that's INSANE! Now, for me, that's when some of my favorite runs happen. I enjoy seeing the sunrise, I enjoy clearing my head before starting my day, and I enjoy the thrill of running in the dark. Don't get me wrong, I love a beautiful sunny run around the LSU lakes, up on the levee, or #1 at the beach!

I want to give some pointers here from my experience (I'm not a professional) there are things you can run through pain wise; for a female running through period cramps is like a victory for me for two reasons; 1 because men can't, and 2 because I feel so much better afterwards; do not run through pains of a twisted ankle! Dumb! Very dumb! You can run through sore or tight muscles, run harder it will help! Today I ran through a tightness in my left calf muscle, I just kept picking trees to sprint and open up my stride. This is all things that I have learned from Kenyan over the past 8 years, well except the period cramp part;)
Kenyan has constantly told me I'm not pushing myself hard enough, well stubborn me did not listen fully until about 3 weeks ago. I did a speed workout he gave me and ran a 7 minute mile, I thought I was going to fall off the treadmill and be knocked unconscious for bug to find me when she woke up from her nap, but I survived and man did I feel strong, empowered if you will!

Moral of today's story is you are way stronger than you think you are, and if you are having a bad day....RUN! And then dance to some Michael Jackson! Talk about cross training! Try keeping up with a 3 year old obsessed with Michael Jackson!

I totally forgot to mention that I stepped in cow poop and had it flinging on the back of my legs around mile 5! Awesome huh, made me run faster:)

Happy running y'all!

2 comments:

  1. I think me and Bug may be kindred spirits. I love Michael J!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonight as I'm reading her bedtime stories she said mommy can I dance to Michael Jackson before breakfast?!?! Never a dull moment here:)

    ReplyDelete